Monday, February 2, 2009

Big things in small places

If ever there was a person who had a red phone straight to Jesus - My Aunt Linda has that priviledge, hands down.  She's one of those insterestingly eclectic people that if you didn't know her, you probably wouldn't know her, and I'm glad I do.  She's alot like me in many ways, and taught me much about following dreams.  I rarely heeded her advice and kick myself often for it.  She championed my individuality, creativity, and nurtured the little artist within me.   I still remember how she endured many a pot of ramen noodles in which I had dumped a plethora of spices and seasonings with never a bad word to say.  I knew she was nuts then...I too have tasted some of my early creations.  
We call her...no wait...she asks that we call her CAL - Crazy Aunt Linda.  I love her to death.  She's one of those people that when you get a hug from them...you just KNOW it's for real.  She has had a life of trials and tribulations - many of them self wrought but who am I to judge...I just know that with a life of sparse materialism she has gotten to a place where the small things mean so much to her.

Last week an ice storm took over much of the midwest, much like the storm my father and I endured when I was moving my family back to the 'Burgh in the winter of 2007/2008.  CAL has been without power for 4 days.  Her biggest concern?  She wasn't gonna get to watch the Steelers play in the Superbowl.  CAL loves her sports.  Living in Kentucky, she sports the Wildcats colors every saturday and loves to watch UK basketball.  With her little baby brother and her little JayBird (my dad and I) living in Pittsburgh - she's a die hard Steelers fan.  I can't imagine what life was like in her house with the pending game looming closer and closer without power.

I remember staying at her apartment once...the cold never really bothered her.  Her oldest son told me once that she is part Polar Bear.  I'd believe it.  There was a time when we would open her fridge to warm up.  All she cared about yesterday was how she was gonna be able to watch the game.  Luckily, I have a buddy who has put together a home brew DVR and has recorded the game for me to burn as a DVD and send her a copy.  Just a small token of appreciation and admiration I have for her, it really doesn't seem enough but it's perfect for her.  She would want nothing more from me.  I hope someday to get into her camera bag and start scanning some of her photos...she is a WONDERFUL photographer and still shoots old school.  I need to send her some film.  

Back to God for a minute - Yesterdays church service was incredible.  Prayers do get answered, and needs met - Amanda has been given the courage to start a Womens group at church.  Another big thing...in a small place.  She's the best EVER!

No comments:

Post a Comment