Saturday, January 10, 2009

Frugality and Frivolity

Many years of experience have jaded me.  For the longest time I thought those really fine things, the memorable things, the enjoyable things came at a price higher than most.  The past 12 hours have put a huge hole in that theory.  

My wife and I (and the kids) have been trying to lead a healthier lifestyle.  At the same time, we've noted that it's much more difficult (at least on the surface) to be frugal at the same time.  It seems many of the healthier choices are far from frugal - downright rediculous if you ask me.  How is it that "natural" peanut butter (ground peanuts) is more than the processed goo that is half sugar?  DO peanuts cost more than sugar?  Then why don't we say "that guy is working for sugar?" instead?

Amanda has us hooked on a no sugar, no flour diet (well...she's hooked, I still sneak a little once in a while) and we had nachos for dinner last nite.  Yup, nachos, the healthy way, and not only was it delicious and healthier, it was CHEAPER too?  How'd that work?  I'm so glad you asked!

Venison Nacho's
Ingredients:
1 lb ground venison (or beef)
2 packets taco seasoning(low sodium if you can, or make your own)
1 can Campbells Fiesta Nacho Soup
10-12 corn tortillas (the big bag is about 4 bucks for over 50 6-7inch corn tortillas)
some cooking spray
lettuce, tomato, sour cream, salsa verde for garnish

Brown the venison in a sauce pan, and once browned add the taco spices and the soup can, along with about 1/4 cup water
cut the tortillas into 1/6th's with a pizza cutter or knife and arrange on a cookie sheet sprayed with a touch of pam, then spray the tops of the "chips" if desired.
Bake the chips @ 400 for about 8-10 minutes until they start to brown.  Remove, and serve warm with the taco meat/cheese mixture adding the condiments as desired.  

In the mood for something along the same lines, but different?  How about venison taquitos?  Same recipe, butdon't bother with the making of chips, unless you want some to snack on.  Rather, put about 2 tbls of the taco mixture on a warmed tortilla, roll, and then bake at 400 for about 12 mins - just until they start to brown.  Serve with shredded chedder or monty jack cheese, sour cream and guacamole. 

Okay, how does this fit into the original chat?  Simple - what could be nicer with a southwestern dinner than fresh chips, right?  and to be able to make them for less than 1/10th the cost of tortilla chips?  Yeah.  That's frivolous AND frugal.  

Want more?  How about Steel Cut Oats?  We all know oatmeal is good for us, but damn if I'm not sick and tired of textureless gloop in the bowl.  I just don't like quick oats anymore.  So last nite my wife and I spied a box of "steel cut oats" and I grabbed it to see if they were any different.

Yeah, they take a little longer to prepare, but the first bite was heaven in a bowl.  they are SO much better than regular oats, and they were very affordable too as hot breakfast cereals go.  Where Cream of Wheat is ~$4 a box now, the Hodgson Mill Steel Cut Oats were only $2.  I like saving money on my health.  

Got any tips of your own?  Drop me a line!

1 comment:

  1. I'm about the only one I know who actually likes oatmeal. I agree the steel cut oats are much better. I'm going to have to try that nacho recipe some time.

    ReplyDelete